The whole prcess was very easy. With lots of info and support - and just a little bit of know how - I managed to buy and fix my own shutters. And I saved heaps!..Tony Wallace
I had quotes from heaps of other companies, and didn't think I could afford to do my own house. Than I found this website. So easy...Chris Harrison
My wife thinks I'm useless on the tools, but I ordered the shutter, and got it up without any trouble. Go me...John Pearce
Fitting a Roller Shutter Yourself
If you need help, please contact us. If you don't think you're able to fit the shutter yourself, ask your local Handyman to help. You'll still save heaps.
5. Order Online
*NB: If you have a clad house, your instructions will vary. Contact us for more details.
- Tape Measure
- Drill and bits (6mm, 10mm and 6mm masonry for brick fixing, spade bits 20 or 25mm for manual operation only)
- Spirit Level (on wall fixing)
- Hacksaw (can also use a grinder or drop saw)
- Screws (pan head 10 gauge screws around 40mm)
- Masonry Plugs (brick fixing only to suit screws above)
- Coat Hanger or wire (for manual in reveal fixing)
On Wall – The roller shutter is fixed OUTSIDE the window opening
In Reveal - The roller shutter is fixed INSIDE the window opening
Figure 1 – Types of Installation
On Wall Measuring
1. To Measure Total Width for ordering:
Measure width of window opening.
Add 106mm for guide width (53mm each side).
This is the Total Width for ordering (see figure 2).
2. To Measure Total Height for ordering:
- Measure the height of window opening.
- This is the Total Height for ordering (see figure 2). Find pelmet height from table below and add to window height. (if you don’t have room for the pelmet don’t stress, it will still work. Pelmet can be fitted lower.)
Figure 2 – On Wall Dimensions for Order
Table 1 – Pelmet Heights
In Reveal Measuring
- To Measure Total Width for ordering:
- Measure width of window opening at the top of the window.
- Subtract 3mm (this allows shutter to slide in)
- This is the Total Width for ordering (see figure 3).
- To Measure Total Height for ordering:
- Measure the height of window opening at the face of the brickwork.
- This is the Total Height for ordering (see figure 3).
Figure 3 – In Reveal Dimensions for Ordering
Shutter is opened and closed indoors with either a winder or strap control depending on shutter size and personal preference (See Figure 4).
Battery (Ozroll Drive System)
Shutter is opened and closed indoors with the press of a button. Control is via a rechargeable battery (See Figure 4).
Figure 4 – Operation Style
Shutter is opened and closed indoors with the press of a button. Control is hardwired to mains power. NB: this option requires a licensed electrician to install the switching.
Figure 5 – Roller Shutter Colours
* Pelmet and guides available in brown. Colour is slightly darker than slat colour shown
** Pelmet and guides available in these colours.
NOTE: Powdercoating available by request. Additional charge applies
Click Here to Order Online.
Have the information gathered in steps 1 to 4 handy.
On Wall Installation ODS Battery or 240 volt
1. Remove Roller Shutter from packaging. You should have 2 x guides, 1 x pelmet and curtain (combined), 2 x silver end plate legs, 6 x 10mm hole caps, 1 x ODS controller and wall plate or 1 x switch mechanism for 240 volt.
2. If ODS, place controller onto charge so its ready to use later
3. Mark the front of the guides for fixing points approximately 100mm from the top, 100mm from the bottom and also in the middle (make sure you will be fixing into brick and NOT mortar.)
4. Drill a 6mm hole through the hollow section of the guide where marked, drilling from front to back.
5. Drill through the same hole a 10mm hole through the FRONT ONLY to allow for the screw head to pass through.
a. If the wall has NO cavity:
i. Work out where you’d like the switch height to be inside and put a mark on the wall or window.
ii. Drill a 10mm hole in the BACK of the guide to correspond with the switch height mark you just made. This is for the motor cable to go through the wall.
6. Slide the silver end plate legs onto the box ends
a. If the wall has NO cavity:
i. Drill a 10 mm hole into the box end using the pre drilled hole in the silver end plate leg (hold with pliers to prevent drill grabbing)
ii. Slide the motors wire through this hole and into the hollow guide section and out through the hole drilled in the guide in step 5a-ii
iii. You will need to also drill a 10mm masonry hole through the wall to pass cable indoors. This needs to be in the same place as the hole drilled in the guide in step 5a-ii.
b. If the wall HAS a cavity:
i. Drill a 10 mm hole at the back of the top corner that the motor is on.
ii. Place the motors wire through this hole so that it is hanging out of the top of the pelmet.
7. Place the pre drilled guides onto the silver end plate legs and rivet through the back edge to hold in place.
8. Hold entire shutter level and in place. Using a 6mm masonry bit, drill through the pre drilled holes in the guides (step 4 & 5) into the brick wall and use masonry plugs to fix to the wall with 10 gauge 40mm pan head screws.
a. If the wall HAS a cavity:
i. Drill a 10 mm masonry hole through the external brick work until you hit the hollow cavity of the wall. This needs to be just above the motor cable (step 6b)
ii. Pass the cable through this hole so it is hanging inside the wall cavity ready to be fished out from inside at switch height. Silicone seal holes once cable has been found inside.
9. For 240 volt operation:
a. You will need a qualified electrician from this point to terminate switching before the motor limits can be set. Once 240 volt switching installed:
i. Make sure switch is in off position before turning power back on
ii. Switch shutter to down position
iii. Using limit setting tool provided turn top screw in motor head clockwise until motor stops running and then slowly turn anti clockwise until desired down position is reached.
iv. Repeat same steps for up position but use the bottom screw in motor head to adjust top limit.
v. Go to step 11.
10. For ODS control:
a. Cut a hole in the wall on the inside at your preferred operation height and using a wire with a hook fish around in the cavity wall until you find the black ODS cable.
b. Connect the spades onto the back of the wall plate (if on left side go BLACK TO BLACK AND RED TO RED) if on the right side go BLACK TO RED AND RED TO BLACK) don’t panic if you get this wrong no harm done just reverse and shutter will run in the right direction.
c. Fix the wall plate to the wall using instructions provided
d. Place controller into wall plate and test shutters open and closed position
e. Go to step 11.
11. Place hole caps in to cover 10mm hole in guides
12. Place pelmet cover on with rivets supplied